Sunday, October 2, 2011

CSA Week 17

I'm loving all the veggies that have been arriving in my share from Cooper's CSA Farm & Maze.  Week 17 contained white corn, fingerling potatoes, tomatoes, beets, garlic, and an ambercup or buttercup squash and sweet peppers.


Now I don't know if this was a buttercup or an ambercup squash; but what I do know is that it was FANTASTIC!  Dry flesh and so sweet, mashed and enjoyed with butter, salt, pepper, smidge of brown sugar and a tiny pinch of cinnamon.


At the disgust of my mother I'm including this picture!!  The fingerling potatoes were of such varied shapes....I'll let you guess what I thought this one looked like.  Each week I roll my eyes with pleasure, these however were so good, now I understand why they are so expensive to buy at the store.


Week 17 was also fantastic in that I finally received a comment from someone other than my Mom or friend Steph.  "Mick" is a runner, like a "real marathon runner"!! and asked about the reason for the move and some pictures.


The move is something that I would have never anticipated.  I love the Village of Brooklin and will miss it dearly.  The condo that we purchased for my parents has been delayed again.  After having my parents live with us for the last two summers it's just not fair to them, or us, to continue to live with no firm date of completion in sight.

As a family, we decided to move closer to the city.  The biggest benefits are way shorter commute times to work for my husband and myself, and two distinctly separated living areas for all of us.


I don't have a lot of photo's but this will be my new kitchen!  I love to cook and generally hang out in the kitchen with my lap top that I plan to set up in that little nook.

I've finally been back at quilting and sadly had to run on the treadmill--boo hiss--due to the crappy weather this morning.  Off to watch Amazing Race........

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Congratulations on the new house. The kitchen looks fantastic. Can't wait to be invited over.

The potatoes look interesting LOL :)

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Steph.....All I can say is Mucho wow wow wow ( a sayin' I learnt when I did the 4 day trek to Machu Picchu in June ) at that kitchen. Good on you and the big man, and can't wait to see the rest when you guys move.

A bit more about myself...work for the Govt, use to live downtown Toronto, the Oakville and now Ottawa. Yes I am runner, 95 marathons and a couple of Ultra-marathons at last count ( did the goofy challenge at Disney back in January ), won 3 races in my age group ( 38-45 ) so far this year.

The one piece of advice I have for "new runner" is to get a GAIT ANALYSIS done, and buy shoes that were recommended for your feet type. Also invest in a foam roller to break the IT band spasm after every run, and stretch stretch and hydrate until your body can go without water. I can run 15km or more without drinking.

If you can, invest in a garmin 305 and above to track your distance and all that. The goal after a while is that you can run for at least 30mins without stopping, not out of breathe and still be able to hold a conversation. Speed will come after. Don't forget to breathe through the nose and out through the mouth.

Look into CHI-RUNNING when you get a chance, it teaches you about posture and how to use your mid-foot to propel yourself foward, instead of landing on your heel, which is bad for you and your body.

Oh....Am into gardening as well and I like seeing all your farm supplies :-) My tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, herbs went crazy this year just like the previous years in my raised veggie bed

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/s3r3nd1p1ty/IMG_3229.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/s3r3nd1p1ty/IMG_3230.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/s3r3nd1p1ty/IMG_3238.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/s3r3nd1p1ty/IMG_3237.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/s3r3nd1p1ty/IMG_3236.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/s3r3nd1p1ty/IMG_3319.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/s3r3nd1p1ty/IMG_3314.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ikennedy/IMG_3479.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ikennedy/IMG_3475.jpg

Have a wonderful day and stay blessed

Mick

Stephanie said...

Mick, Your veggies and gardening look amazing. I love cana lillies as well, they always remind me of the tropics.

I track my runs on my phone to see how far and fast I go but most times I just do my usual 5 km loop around the neighbourhood changing the direction every few days so it's not muscle repetitive. On the weekends I like to go for a longer run.

I run just for fun and to clear out the cobwebs in my head. I'll be honest and admit that I'm not too fast but am impressed with my progress. I've been at it for the last 3 years consistently which is pretty good considering that I was never that active and used to smoke-blah, what was I thinking! I use the galloway method of 5 and 1 and breathe pretty good, nose breaths really help when I might be struggling.

Congratulations on all your runs that takes some serious personal dedication!! Are you signed up for any on the horizon?

Cheers!