Saturday, August 23, 2008

Mmmm Saturday

Today has been a great Saturday!! It started out with brisk 5 KM walk with my Girl. Then it was over to the Ultimate Sewing Centre for their "Huge Tent Sale". Did very well, picked up some lovely fabric, scraps and "mystery bags" for a total of about $40.00.

STASH ENHANCEMENT

My work is a total of 54 KM (33 Miles) from my house; and most of my friends do not live that close to me. A co-worker just recently moved two streets away from me. This afternoon she dropped by for wine (Rosemount Diamond Cab Sauv) and goodies. It was a wonderful afternoon and I think gained another great friend. You don't know how nice it is to have someone close to home, my age who loves to snack, drink and shop!

Mmmm, no calories when shared!

Earlier today I was discussing the format of our blogs with my friend "Quilting Newbie". She was upset that my blog had not been updated lately and requested to see a food post. I think I am going to share my recipe for "Sweet Potato Chili"...I know sounds yucky but on the contrary is very yummy!! Recipe at bottom of post......

INGREDIENTS

SWEET POTATOES


CHILI ROUX


ADD TOMATOES & POTATOES


ADD PEPPERS AND BEANS


SWEET POTATO CHILI


Within each season the Longo's grocery store sends out a magazine in the local paper. Basically it showcases thier new products but also has recipes. I only ripped out the page, but is probably from thier fall promotion of 2006.

Sweet Potato Chili

A chunky orange chili is a nice option for vegetarians and meat-lovers alike. Serve this warm comfort dish with fresh Longo's bakery biscuits after a cool evening out or after the hockey game (tell me their not trying to market to Canadian's eh?). Make it ahead and reheat for an easy and quick meal.

1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup vegetable stock
3 sweet potatoes, cubed
1 can diced tomatoes DO NOT DRAIN (28 oz/796 ml)
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (19 oz/540 ml)
1 green pepper, diced
Salt and Pepper

In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin and cinnamon for five minutes or until softened. Sprinkle with flour and cook stirring for one minute. Add stock and stir until smooth.

Add sweet potaotes and tomatoes, bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes or untill amlomst tender. Add beans and green pepper and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Makes 4 servings, 5 WW points per serving or about 250 calories, only my caluculations.

No comments: